DIY: Shabby Chic Pom Pom Pin
DIY: Shabby Chic Pom Pom Pin – By Simone Heng
I love this DIY because brides can use it for so many things and it can even be an entire motif at a vintage-style wedding. Imagine bouquets of these in different shades of blush pink with odd vintage buttons at the centre. You can use the pin to unify bridesmaid’s hairstyles by pinning it at the base of low ponytails or in updos. You can actually also leave the pin off the back and have clusters loose on table settings. Pin them to bows on bundles of sugared almonds to give as a gift that female guests can wear later. The possibilities are endless.
What you’ll need:
- Needle and thread (in matching colour)
- Scrap ribbon
- Brooch pin
- Vintage button with crystals
- Cardboard donut
- Yarn/cord in a colour you like
1)Begin by making the pom pom. The easiest way to do this is to follow this amazing video created by Threadbanger
This is by far the most amazing ‘How-to’ for pom poms I’ve ever seen and this project only works well using this method as the ribbon which ties the pom pom together acts as a base for the brooch pin to be stitched on.
2) Once the pom pom is done sew on the vintage button with crystals by parting the pom pom fluff in the centre so it looks like a flower.
3) Once the button is firmly in place, flip it over and hand stitch the brooch pin to the ribbon. Also stitch some of the pom pom fluff to the underside of the ribbon, making the whole brooch more firm.
Then you’re finished! Go on…pin it on your groom’s tux just to scare him!