INTERVIEW: Get to know the wedding Pro | O’ My Glamour!
Written by Adam Hurst on August 24, 2013.
Get To Know The Wedding Pro!
Each week, we shine the spotlight on our Bride Club ME vendor club members, allowing our readers to get up close and personal with some of the best wedding vendors in town. Here, you can learn more about the people behind some of the businesses you may hire to help make your wedding day perfect! This week we have the privilege of showcasing Christina Karachaliou, Managing Director of O’ My Glamour! Christina provides us with an exclusive insight into her role as a personal stylist and shares with us what she loves most about her job.
- How long has O’ My Glamour! been established and what is it that you do?
O’ My Glamour! was established in 2011 in Dubai. It is a bespoke lifestyle consultancy offering bridal and fashion styling, professional make-up and personal shopping services. Since launching O’ My Glamour!, I have styled numerous models and celebrities for magazine photo shoots, including Shape ME, Dubai Mall Magazine, Concierge and POSE. As much as I thrive on high profile fashion collaborations, my true passion remains in working with personal clients and providing them with elite styling services. I prefer describing what I do as ‘giving the gift of glamour’ to women!
- What do you love most about your work?
My job as a stylist is to select the right clothes and accessories for my clients, in accordance with a particular look or theme – whether fashion or bridal related. However, O’ My Glamour! is not just about appearances. What I love most about my job is educating each person I work with to recognise their ultimate potential and embrace their individuality. There is nothing more rewarding than seeing another woman transform into a confident and happy individual simply because she feels and looks beautiful. It is a life changing experience and I am grateful to be part of it! As a wedding stylist, I am committed to providing each bride with bespoke styling services, so she can look at her wedding photos in years to come and feel like a princess.
- Do brides really need a stylist?
Absolutely! There is a common misconception that hiring a stylist for your wedding is unnecessary and costly. After all, why pay someone to take you shopping for a wedding dress when you can do it for free with the help of your mum or a good friend? Unfortunately, most brides-to-be underestimate how time-consuming and overwhelming wedding preparations can be, at least until the stress has taken over. Finding the perfect dress, shoes and jewellery, for both yourself and your bridesmaids, while trying to convince your fiancé to start looking for a matching suit, are just a few of the tasks to consider when planning your wedding. This is why the professional services of a bridal stylist are invaluable. Depending on your individual requirements, I can take care of your entire bridal party, from head to toe, so you can enjoy your special day without any stress, allowing you to look your absolute best in your wedding photos.
- Which bridal designers (local or international) make it into your ‘top five list’ and why?
There are some exceptional bridal designers out there. Women tend to be more familiar with the commercial brands, however I can tell you that Dubai is home to some of the most talented designers I know. I have had the privilege of working with a few of them and their designs are absolutely brilliant. My top five bridal designers are…
– Sohad Acouri (Dubai based): One of my favourite designers. I love the drama, dazzle and intricate details in Sohad’s designs. Every wedding dress in his collection is a couture masterpiece!
– Orkalia Haute Couture (Dubai-based): From modern and seductive gowns to more classic, sophisticated dresses, Orchid’s designs are both stylish and feminine.
– Ghanati Couture (Dubai-based): Ghanati offers luxurious and elegantly crafted wedding dresses for the more ‘traditional’ bride.
– Jenny Packham (international): Jenny’s wedding dresses are ethereal and effortlessly chic – ideal for the ‘romantic’ bride.
– Monique Lhuillier (international): The lace detailing on Monique’s dresses and the elegance of her designs are second to none.
- Can you share the most exciting styling projects you have worked on recently?
Styling is my passion, so every project I work on is exciting for me, be it for a private client or fashion shoot. In terms of high profile styling projects, the most recent one was my collaboration with L’Oreal Professionnel. I was selected as their exclusive stylist for their 2013 annual bride magazine in the GCC – one of the most exciting projects I have worked on so far. The L’Oreal Professionnel 2013 Bride Book was showcased during the Fashion Forward event in Dubai last April. It features glamorous wedding gowns and evening dresses courtesy of some of Dubai’s most talented designers, in addition to stunning hairstyles and make-up by the L’Oreal Professionnel team. The photos are available on the O’ My Glamour! Facebook page.
Another project I am very excited about is the Gatsby-themed bridal photo shoot I styled in July for Bride Club ME, which was very glamorous and artistic. The project was a collaboration between the different vendors of Bride Club ME (wedding planners, photographers, hair and make-up artists etc.). As the stylist, I was involved in organising the model casting and final selection as well as sourcing the dresses, tuxedo, shoes and jewellery for the models, all of which came from Dubai-based designers and brands.
- Do you have a favourite wedding ceremony and/or reception location in the UAE?
You can find some of the most picturesque wedding locations in the UAE, especially in Dubai. We have such a variety of landscapes to choose from, ranging from lush gardens to venues by the calming sea or untamed desert. My favourite wedding locations are the One & Only Royal Mirage and Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa – two very different venues, but equally mesmerising and unique.
- How can our readers benefit from hiring you as their personal stylist?
As your wedding stylist, I will work with you to identify the concept and visual style for your dream wedding and explore chic styling options that will ensure an elegant and timeless look for the bride and every member of your bridal party.
- Upon receiving your request, I will arrange to meet you and discuss your specific requirements. We will identify the budget for the wedding dress, veil or headpiece, shoes, jewellery and bridal bouquet. I can even help with the groom’s suit and offer advice on hair and make-up. Additional options include shopping for your honeymoon wardrobe and styling for your parents, bridesmaids or best man.
- Following our initial consultation, I will create several bridal looks and present them to you for your feedback. Once you have selected the one you fancy, I will manage the ordering process of all dresses or suits, shoes, jewellery and accessories and ensure that each complete ensemble is ready in time for your big day.
As Dubai’s leading fashion stylist, I have been working closely with some of the most prestigious designers. O’ My Glamour! clients have the distinct advantage of being introduced directly to my designer connections and, more importantly, they can benefit from exclusive prices, so you can have your Haute Couture wedding gown and pay less for it. My clients can also benefit from special discounts on footwear and jewellery due to my excellent collaborations with reputable suppliers in the Dubai market.
- Are there any extra tips you can give a bride to help make her look her absolute best on her special day?
As a stylist, the most important tips I would offer brides to help them prepare and look their best on their wedding day are as follows:
- Your final dress fitting: Wedding dresses can be complicated… the endless buttons with small holes and the lace-up backs can be challenging to tackle alone. To avoid any delays and frustration in getting ready on your wedding day, make sure you take your mum, sister or bridesmaid to your final dress fitting. Ask the sales assistant to show both you and them how to get into the dress and also how to bustle it if there is a train. While trying on the dress, calculate the time it takes you to put it on and allow yourself an extra 15 minutes on the wedding day.
- The shoes: Opt for a modern blush or pale pink shoe rather than a traditional white pair, which you are unlikely to ever wear again. More importantly, don’t overestimate your threshold for pain or vanity when it comes to the heels! It’s important to look good on your wedding day, but this will not be the case if you are in total agony. Choose a pair of heels which are comfortable for you – some women are used to wearing five-inch stilettos, but if you are not one of them go for a more conventional shoe. Lastly, if you are having your wedding ceremony outdoors, invest in a pair of ‘heel stoppers’ to avoid sinking in the grass!
- Jewellery: Remember, less is more! Pick one dramatic piece (necklace or earrings) that really make a statement, and don’t over-accessorise. Your beauty will shine through on the day… don’t wear anything that will overshadow it.
- Finally, why did you choose to list with brideclubme.com?
Bride Club ME is a comprehensive online information hub for brides-to-be based in the UAE. As a business owner and bridal stylist, I am passionate about sharing my professional expertise through collaborations with other professionals. After meeting Rhiannon, founder of Bride Club ME, at their launch event, it was evident she was just as motivated and committed to her clients as I am to mine. BCME is the ideal platform to showcase O’ My Glamour! and make our exclusive styling services accessible to all brides-to-be in the UAE, according to their specific requirements, personality and budget.